The title speaks for itself. I will update this list as necessary especially as I complete series and/or my opinion changes. Work in Progress
Possible Spoilers Abound!
Anticipating (Want to See):
- The Untamed – The CGI effects are cringe-y but very good series. The chronology differs slightly from the book but the story flows well still. I discovered Xiao Zhan and Wang Yibo from this, made me a fan =D. Of course, based on MDZS
- Ozark – This series really made me realize how Jason Bateman has made a career out of playing the everyday man in extraordinary situations. You can also think of this as a much darker version of Arrested Development. He’s a very non-threatening version of Brad Pitt, another actor I like.
- Good Omens – Based on a book but I have never read it. The series was great fun. Tennant and Sheen were such a great duo with great chemistry.
- Eternal Love – Based on 3L3W, so popular when it first came out but for good reason! I thought that Yehua/Mo Yuan were miscast but Mark Chao proved me wrong! Great actor.
- Agents of SHIELD – I’m hoping Quake (played by Chloe Bennet aka Chloe Wang) gets a piece of the MCU action. Got to support our fellow Asian Americans! She also did a great job on her portrayal.
- Altered Carbon – I saw it since my husband pushed me to see it but it’s really good. Coincidentally, Falcon from MCU (Anthony Mackie) will lead the newest season premiering later this year. Poe is my favorite character! Also didn’t realize that it was based on a novel till I read the Wiki.
- Sabrina – I saw the original series, which was very kitschy/corny though I still watched it regularly. This is definitely darker, more adult and not for kids. Due to this, I found out it is based off a comic set in same universe as Archie (adapted into Riverdale). I’ve seen most of Season One currently but I’ve been hearing non stop raves about it ever since it premiered. All the good series all seem to have some gore, horror, violence or all of it.
- Stranger Things – definitely a great series, homage to the 80s, blast from the past. I loved Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor: Ragnarok for the retro feel/look/sound.
- Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell – great fantasy series based on the Fae from BBC
- The Magicians – love the series way more than the book. They actually pretty much diverge from the first few seasons but the changes are for the better! One of the few big mismatches in my love of the media adaptation over the book.
- Locke & Key – Pretty decent, almost like a fantastical Stranger Things. It’s based on an American graphic novel.
Movies: Big messy list incoming!
- Hamilton – so good!
- Entire MCU – The worse movie of the bunch may be Thor and the best is hard to choose though. I like Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Endgame as well as Avengers. I’m generally a big Disney fan.
- Godfather Trilogy – I’m not a big mafia flick fan but I really did enjoy these movies. Casino is a notch below and deserves like an honorable mention.
- Amelie – It’s a French film but it really stuck in my memory with its whimsicality.
- Shawshank Redemption – A classic
- Space Balls – Haha, I like this movie more than the movie it is parodying, Star Wars
- All formulaic feel-good sports movies about underdogs ;p
- Rush Hour – Another late 90’s movie, I guess my age is showing…
- Knives Out
- Ghostbusters – A Classic!
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- Brad Pit movies in general. Easier to just list them all under him haha. For example, Seven, one of the first Brad Pitt movies I saw. Fight Club, good classic and based on a book that I never read by this author. I always thought that he wrote American Psycho, also adapted into another well known flick, but that isn’t the case. Snatch was a slick and smart Brit flick imo. Ocean’s 11, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Interview with the Vampire based on Anne Rice‘s novel. Moneyball, which also hits my feel good sports underdog button.
- American Beauty – Yes, I am aware of Kevin Spacey being cancelled but it still doesn’t detract from this movie… Kevin Spacey has that same space cadet quality to most of his roles… yet is known as a good actor now that I think about it…
- Princess Bride – A Classic! My name is Indigo Montoya and you killed my father!
- Back to the Future trilogy
- Pulp Fiction – so classic that Samuel L. Jackson’s recitation of Ezekiel made it in as a reference on his tombstone in the MCU!
- Game of Thrones – I read the books (though I did not really love it) but the ending was highly disappointing.
- The Mandalorian – I am not a big Star Wars fan and I enjoyed the first season but it felt very brief. I am reserving judgment for now though it’s a very well done series with a lot of fan service and cameos. Hilarious that my fave characters are all non-human/CGI or prop characters like Droidbot and baby Yoda.
- Casino – see above
These are the opinions as written by the author of this blog, not facts and subject to debate! You have every right to your own opinion. 🙂